The Art of Mindful Communication:
Living Your Values
with Oren Jay Sofer
Friday, May 10, 2019, 9 am – 4 pm
Early Registration through April 26:
$179 Ind/Prof – $119 Student*
Starting April 27:
$199 Ind/Prof – $129 Student*
Vegetarian lunch included
Payment Plans and Scholarships available
6 CE/CPEs Pending for Psychologists, Social Workers, Nurses, and Dietitians
Mindfulness practice provides a powerful support for clear, kind, and effective conversations. Join author and meditation teacher Oren Jay Sofer for this exploration of how contemplative practice can deepen our relationships personally and professionally, bringing more compassion, clarity, and connection into our lives.
In this daylong workshop, we will explore the foundations of an integrated approach to skillful communication. Drawing on the tools of mindfulness practice, and the modern discipline of Nonviolent Communication (NVC), and the insights of trauma healing, this day will offer practical tips to bring more clarity and care to your relationships, and to create the conditions for meaningful collaboration. The day will include a combination of guided meditation, discussion, and interactive practice. It is appropriate for all levels of experience; NVC will be taught at a basic level.
In this experiential workshop you will:
- Learn the concept of “presence” and its benefits for communication with clients/patients and co-workers, including how this practice may reduce stress and burnout
- Demonstrate the clinical skill of pausing, and describe how this skill can improve communication
- Explain the differences between “needs” and “strategies,” and how understanding this difference results in improved outcomes
- Describe how “listening with the intention to understand,” improves our relationships
- Describe the difference between empathy and non-empathic forms of communication, and how empathic communication may improve all of our relationships
Oren Jay Sofer has practiced meditation since 1997 and teaches meditation and communication nationally. A member of the Spirit Rock Teachers Council, he holds a degree in Comparative Religion from Columbia University, is a Certified Trainer of Nonviolent Communication, a Course Trainer at Mindful Schools, and a Somatic Experiencing Practitioner trauma healing. Oren is also the author of Say What You Mean: A Mindful Approach to Nonviolent Communication, and the founder of Next Step Dharma, an online course focused on living the path of awakening in our daily lives.
*Full refund available through April 26. From April 27 through May 6, refund less $35 administrative fee. After May 6 no refunds, but will hold payment less $35 administrative fee for a future workshop.