Mindful Schools is an in-school evidenced based model of teaching mindfulness to children PS/K – 12th grade. Mindfulness helps with concentration, focused attention, calming anxious feelings, and improving an overall sense of well-being. A Mindful Schools certified instructor will conduct twice a week 15-minute lessons for 8 weeks (a total of 16 lessons); classroom teachers participate and learn how to conduct and perhaps sustain a mindfulness classroom practice. Teachers are provided 3 professional development opportunities and a Parent Information Meeting. A free 45-minute informational meeting may be scheduled with your teachers, school board and/or parent groups. We are working with experienced educator and mindfulness teacher, Patti Ward, to bring the Mindful Schools Curriculum to schools in the greater Grand Rapids community.
The first step in pursuing an in-class program is to schedule a free 45-minute presentation for your staff. We highly recommend scheduling a free presentation for parents and guardians as well. This presentation includes:
- Definition and background of mindfulness
- Summary of the work of Mindful Schools
- Benefits seen in children
- Demonstration of some of the lessons we do with the kids so the adults get an experiential understanding of mindfulness
- Summary of research and neuroscience supporting mindfulness
Description of program and what it looks like in the classroom
Mindful Schools Program Description:
Our in-class, school-wide program may be the most effective way to introduce and integrate mindfulness into your school community. It includes:
- 16 lessons in each class (visiting classes for 15 minutes 2x/week)
- Mindfulness bell for each class
- Mindfulness workbooks for each student
- A Classroom Teacher Manual for all teachers
- Three additional 30-minute teacher and staff trainings
- One additional 30 – 60 minute parent training
Mindfulness supports the social-emotional goals of many schools in the current educational environment. A growing body of research and neuroscience has shown many benefits of mindfulness:
- Better focus and concentration
- Increased sense of calm
- Decreased stress & anxiety
- Enhanced health
- Improved impulse control
- Increased self-awareness
- Skillful responses to difficult emotions
- Increased empathy and understanding of others
- Development of natural conflict resolution skills
This program is $400.00 per classroom with a minimum of 3 classrooms. School-wide discounts are available.
Our aim is to make this available to all students and schools. For that reason, we offer scholarship rates to schools based on the % of students on free/reduced lunch.
The Mindful Schools Curriculum has been used with more than 200,000 students nationally and internationally. They were the first mindfulness with youth program to complete a randomized control study. The study showed improvement in attention, impulse control, self-awareness, and care for others.