Mindful Schools is an in-school evidenced based model of teaching mindfulness to children PS/K – 12th grade. Mindfulness helps with concentration, focused attention, calming anxious feelings, and improving an overall sense of well-being. A Mindful Schools certified instructor will conduct twice a week 15-minute lessons for 8 weeks (a total of 16 lessons); classroom teachers participate and learn how to conduct and perhaps sustain a mindfulness classroom practice. Teachers are provided 3 professional development opportunities and a Parent Information Meeting. A free 45-minute informational meeting may be scheduled with your teachers, school board and/or parent groups. We are working with experienced educator and mindfulness teacher, Patti Ward, to bring the Mindful Schools Curriculum to schools in the greater Grand Rapids community.
First Step – Schedule a Free 45-minute presentation:
The first step in pursuing an in-class program is to schedule a free 45-minute presentation for your staff. We highly recommend scheduling a free presentation for parents and guardians as well. This presentation includes:
- Definition and background of mindfulness
- Summary of the work of Mindful Schools
- Benefits seen in children
- Demonstration of some of the lessons we do with the kids so the adults get an experiential understanding of mindfulness
- Summary of research and neuroscience supporting mindfulness
- Description of program and what it looks like in the classroomSchedule a 45 Minute Presentation for Your Staff Here Mindful Schools Program Description:
Our in-class, school-wide program may be the most effective way to introduce and integrate mindfulness into your school community. It includes:
- 16 lessons in each class (visiting classes for 15 minutes 2x/week)
- Mindfulness bell for each class
- Mindfulness workbooks for each student
- A Classroom Teacher Manual for all teachers
- Three additional 30-minute teacher and staff trainings
- One additional 30 – 60 minute parent training
See Lesson Title Choices Here
Mindfulness supports the social-emotional goals of many schools in the current educational environment. A growing body of research and neuroscience has shown many benefits of mindfulness:
- Better focus and concentration
- Increased sense of calm
- Decreased stress & anxiety
- Enhanced health
- Improved impulse control
- Increased self-awareness
- Skillful responses to difficult emotions
- Increased empathy and understanding of others
- Development of natural conflict resolution skills
This program is $400.00 per classroom with a minimum of 3 classrooms. School-wide discounts are available.
Our aim is to make this available to all students and schools. For that reason, we offer scholarship rates to schools based on the % of students on free/reduced lunch.
The Mindful Schools Curriculum has been used with more than 200,000 students nationally and internationally. They were the first mindfulness with youth program to complete a randomized control study. The study showed improvement in attention, impulse control, self-awareness, and care for others.